There are four critical elements for ensuring a quality design for your home. At BAAstudio we believe in providing you with a professional service that involves you through the process so your renovation or new home project runs as smoothly as possible and is custom designed for you.
The brief must be clear, precise and encompass all the specifications/requirements for the building project from budget to design. Without a clear brief there will be a misunderstanding between the designer and the agreed scope of work. You could end up paying for drawings that cannot be built within your budget. It is important to communicate your lifestyle needs and tastes along with your proposed budget upfront.
Drawings must be precise, detailed and tie in with all of the consultant documents. Without proper drawings, the builder and contractors will have difficulty interpreting the detail of the project, the quality of the job will suffer, timeframes will be extended resulting in variations, increasing costs and leading to many negotiations with the builder. It is important to remember the builder is only as good as the drawings provided-having the correct set of drawings will save you money!!!
3 Choosing the right design and Architect company.
It is also important to choose the right design professional or building company to ensure a successful design. Some questions to ask yourself during consultations to help you determine if the company/design professional is right for you includes:
1. Does the housing design/drafting professional demonstrate the ability to come up with creative solutions to provide you with a custom and unique design that suits your lifestyle needs and tastes?
2. What are their fees for the entire job? Has this been clearly communicated to you?
3. Who in the company is designing your home or renovation – director, principal designer, draftsperson or technician? Does the fee reflect the level of expertise?
4. What services does the company provide during construction? This is where a project manager will negotiate with builders and contractors on behalf of the client for the best outcome.
5. Can the designer/draftsperson or builder provide you with onsite ideas and understand what the project will cost you?
6. Are you provided with schedule progress meetings and informed during the various stages of drawing, planning and construction process? What involvement do you have throughout the project?
Your design/project will only be as good as the builder. Questions to ask yourself when searching for a reputable builder include:
1. Does the builder have residential experience?
2. Is the builder hands on with the building projects or does he just do paperwork?
3. Does the builder communicate to you and cares about the quality of the work produced or he just driven by profit margins?
At BAAstudio we have a team of builders we can recommend to see your project through. We also tender every job to make sure you get a competitive price.
After you have read through all of the attached documents we can provide an onsite design consultation /advice service with an Architect/Designer.
There are some basic questions we have attached which will help us understand a little about you and the project along with information about your budget, master planning and the stages.